Friday, October 30, 2009

Liver...and a revelation


Happy Republic day!


yesterday was the anniversary of the creation of the Turkey that we know today...therefore all across Istanbul there were more flags draped over balconies and hanging of terraces then usual and not to mention the many Ataturk memorabilia flags and posters that were visible on every corner. I was sure that night time would bring a huge celebration with fireworks and such, but as i wandered out of my dorm to cruise through my main street in Istanbul (Istiklal) i stopped by my friends room to deliver his cigarettes he had left on my desk. Little did i know what i was getting myself into...as soon as i poke my head into his room, (which by the way is inhabited by 14 guys- all twenty something aged. ) I see 9 guys sitting at the table eating dinner. As soon as the first one sees me he waves me into the room where they all insist i stay and eat even though i beg them not to because i just ate my own dinner. They pull up a chair and hand me a loaf of bread, a cup of Pepsi and a fork and tell me not to be shy. Of course i start eating and they all watch, like waiting for a storm to erupt, as soon as i have swallowed a few bites, they inform me that i am eating cooked liver , and do i like it? I swallow hard and pull together a smile and nod my head enthusiastically. Suprisingly it is good, but now that they mention it i start picturing an actual bloodly liver as deliver forkfuls of the meat into my mouth.


Of course throughout dinner i have to water down my mouth because spices seem to be a way of life in Turkey and i feel as though every bite i take is setting my mouth on fire. In any case, i feel like i am sitting in the middle of a family dinner...all the guys are chatting easily and of course teasing each other mercilessly and talking about classes, cars and the state of the world... (i think they omitted any conversation about women due to my presence, for which i was very grateful). The switch easily between English and Turkish and sometimes ever Kurdish and every now and then when Islam comes up...a bit of Arabic. I was intrested to learn that not only did the guys cook the dinner all by themselves, but as soon as they finished and i stood to help clean up, they all demanded that i sit down and not touch anything.


they clean the entire table and head outside for a smoke in groups of 2 and 3, only stragglers remain at the table with me. They ask me if i smoke and when i shake my head they nod firmly, "very good". I ask one of the guys if the dinner was in celebration of Republic Day and he just laughs...apparently celebrating Republic day is not an idea they have considered. I think they are just enjoying each others company in the presence of food...


Of course the highlight of my night was when i took a picture of all of them sitting at the table enjoying their meal....honestly it looks like a family, it looks like unity, friendship and freedom...all the things that Republic day is supposed to symbolize.


I guess i understand why they dont need to celebrate it on any specific day...they live it every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment