Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What to say...

I am afraid...
i have so much to say about the past week i spent in Gaziantep
that i feel i might start writing and it will turn into an incoherent stream of conciousness type of thing.
Like in HighSchool when they make you read "classic" books that are completely illogical and make no sense to sane humans...but then again i have a theory that all English teachers and literature teachers have a strong dose of insanity in there souls. You have to in order to make any sense of the jumbled thoughts that people create when they put pen to paper with the intention of changing your life.

But i digress...already i've lost the point

Gaziantep is a beautiful ancient place, and its people take great pride it in, they love it as if they came from the ground itself...like daffodils springing from the rocks.
It's supposed to be a big city...but they way people greet you when you meet them on the street it feels like small town USA to me.

On one occasion during the holiday we were trying to find Gaziantep castle and ended up straying through a local neighborhood were some children were playing. As we stopped to ask them for directions a little boy took my hand and kissed it and wished me a happy bayram...

suddenly i didn't feel like a foreigner in a strange land...i felt like a long lost relative.

All of my friends young cousins and nephews and neices called me Jessi-abla....meaning jessi sister

I was shopping for souvenir's at this amazing bazar and an older gentleman called me his daughter and gave me a beautiful Indian scarf as a gift, along with directions to some of the oldest places in Gaziantep.

I can hardly speak a word of Turkish, but i never felt more welcome then when i was in Gaziantep and every where i went was home, and everyone we spoke to was family.

Out of respect of the wishes of my hosts in Gaziantep i will not blog in detail about my experiences...but i will definatly continue to make some notes in my future blogs about intresting things i did and saw there...so keep your eyes open!

Ciao!
Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment